Friday, February 8, 2008

The Life of Sir Thomas More



This specific website helped me to find major events that occured in More's lifetime. Sir Thomas More was born on February 7, 1478 in Milk Street, London. More went to Oxford to contiue his education under the instruction of Thomas Linacre, and William Grocyn. At Oxford he studied Greek and Latin literature. He became a barrister in 1501, which is considered to be a lawyer of England. More's lifelong friend was Desiderius Erasmus. Together they did many different writings of literature. One major thing that More did was help Henry VIII in the writing of Defence of the Seven Sacraments. He resigned from the law in 1532 because of ill health, but some say that it is because of his dissaproval of Henry VIII view on the church. For the most part this is a summary of what I learned by reading about More's lifetime. Although it was a good website, I still felt like I could have learned alot more. Overall this was a pretty good website, just left me a little uninformed. Overall, I would rate this website a 5 out of 10.
http://www.luminarium.org/renlit/morebio.htm




This next website had a very helpful timeline. It listed all of the major events in More's life through a timeline, and for a reader that is a lot easier to understand than reading about each of these events all jumbled up. Fromt this website I learned that he was married to a girl named Jane Colt, in 1505, who he has 4 children with. She passed away in 1511, and he married again a month later to Alice Middleton. Also, this site gives me a little more information as to why More really did resign. It states that he didn't support Henry VIII's divorce from Catherine and Anne Boyln. More was convicted of treason and was beheaded on July 6, 1535. As you can tell it seems that I learned quite a bit from this website. I liked this one alot better than the first one. Once I finished reading, I felt as if I had recieved just enough information about More. Overall, I would have to rate this website a 8 out of a 10.





This website was fairly plain and boring, but had great amounts of information. Unlike the other first two, this website talks a little bit more about his personality, and actually describes him as a person. For instance they mention that More is "a man of singular virtue and of a clear unspotted conscience." After reading the information on this website I felt as if I knew him better as a person and not only as someone who was well known for his writings. Even though this website is sort of bland and is alot of reading, I enjoyed it mostly because I felt better informed about More's actual personality, and what he was really thinking when he did his writings. Overall, I would say that I rate this website a 7out of 10.



This next website was also very helpful in the sense that it was about More's trail against treason. Even though the other websites talk a little about his trial, this website only really talks about the trial, and goes into great detail. I also learned that right before More was executed he said his closing statment: "I very well remember the case and if I were to decide it now, I would make the same decree." This statement was mentioned in the other websites, but the actual quote was not said. This website was quite interesting, because it helped me to find out the real reasons to More's trial and issues with Henry VIII. Overall, I would rate this website a 8 out of 10.


http://www.duhaime.org/LegalResources/LawMuseum/tabid/345/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/112/The-Trial-of-Sir-Thomas-More-1535.aspx





















No comments: